Congratualtions 2018 Soda Contest winners!
Blue ribbon: Traditional Scone
Blue ribbon: Brown Soda Bread
Blue ribbon: Traditional White Soda Bread
Patricia Wright & Kathleen Brooks
Irish Fair of Minnesota sponsors an annual baking competition open to amateur cooks. The contest has two main categories, soda bread and scones.
Soda Bread Category
Traditional Irish Soda Bread is made without leavening, using baking soda instead of yeast or baking powder to make the dough rise. This gives the bread a special flavor that borders on the taste of cake. Traditional recipes include flour, baking soda, salt, buttermilk or sour milk, and butter. All purpose, wheat, bran, or rye flours can be used. For more information about traditional Irish soda breads, visit www.sodabread.us. - The traditional soda bread category features two sections: white bread and brown bread.
In Ireland, scones are often served with afternoon tea. They are made with many of the same ingredients as soda bread. Traditional recipes include salt, flour, baking soda, buttermilk, sour milk and butter. Scones entries should be submitted as a plate of 3 scones. - The scone category only has one section: traditional scones.
Baking Competition Rules:
- Open to amateur bakers.
- Maximum two entries per person.
- Scone entries should be a plate of 3.
- Please bring your entries on a disposable plate. Presentation is not a criterion for judging. Irish Fair of Minnesota is not responsible for the return of items.
- Unclaimed Ribbons and prizes will be forfeited.
- All remaining portions of the entries will be discarded for sanitary reasons.
- By entering the Baking Competition, you are giving permission to Irish Fair of Minnesota for the use of your name and likeness for publicity purposes.
Entry Forms must be received by August 6th to qualify. All bread and scone entries will be judged by a panel of bakers on Saturday, August 10 at Noon. Designated Dropoff Location is Cultural Area/Tea Room at the Irish Fair of Minnesota.
To to register please complete the form and send to email@example.com or mail to Kevin Geraghty at 992 St. Clair Avenue, St. Paul MN 55105.